Friday, January 30, 2009

Thing 19: Adding to my Toolbox

I decided to take a quick look at the Webby winners. Out of those I must admit I've used a few and am familiar with even more. 

I use YouTube quite a bit. I have yet to upload any videos to it, but I did create an account. I think I've heard someone compare it to crack and when I'm still up at 3:00 a.m. when I have to go to work the next morning, jumping from one video to the next I can understand why.

I of course use Flickr a lot too. I even have a paid account. I think I've passed my 10,000 upload, most of them being photos that no one else but me wold like to see, but still. I use it to share photos with friends and families and keep an archive of my stuff.

Delicious I'm still exploring and seeing if it will stick. Like with YouTube I learned from my more learned than me collegues that Delicious has more privacy (In my head I say it the British way--why oh why!) options than I was familiar with. In the past this has kept me from exploring them further, but since I take quite a bit of video and even got a flip like video recorder for Christmas, this might change in the near future.

I do have a Twitter account, but have yet to really use it. I am still not quite sure how I would use it. I did fairly recently hear about the plane ditching into the Hudson through a twittering, even saw my first photo of it through Twitpic or whatever that is called. I know a few people that change their facebook status through twitter also.

And ah Threadless how I love thee. If I had limitless amount of money I could spend it all here.

I use Google Maps in my personal and work life. The SAPL system map is on Google and we've created Early Voting location maps, and VITA locations maps through there too. it might be interesting to create local places to eat for new staff members.

craiglist I used for the first time when my dog pulled a Houdini and went missing. We posted it to the lost pet column. I found it fairly easy to use but the cross posting thing kind of was annoying. I saw people had done it, but I just couldn't make my unique enough but the same enough to matter. We didn't find her through it, but still I felt like we were doing something. I found it interesting that people were setting up meetups on craigslist. They even have a category for it. :D

time will tell which of these tools will be added or discarded from my toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment