Friday, January 30, 2009

Thing 16: Wikimania

Wiki's I know about them, even use them, but I've never really participated in them. I use WikiPedia quite a bit, probably like everyone else as a reference. 

I am familiar with Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki. I like to look it over to see what other libraries are doing, to see if I can get any ideas, or just to see how they are implementing things.

Some of the things that really draw my eye are Staff Training and Collabrative Tools in Libraries, Displays and Marketing.

When we were looking at events and room management about a year ago I used this wiki to see what others were doing. It's always nice to see what other libraries are doing, because what busineses or academic or even school libraries is not quite the same as what other public libraries are doing. Who else knows our pain better.

The Subject Guides always seemed something that would work with wiki's. In our case we found LibGuides. It's still new but hopefully it works out. 

We've been kicking around the idea of some kind of knowledge base for a number of years now. A way to gather information in a place where everyone could read and contribute too. I've talked to a number of people at the branches who feel that they can't help patrons as much as they'd like because they just don't have the time, the resources or the on the job training/skills/knowledge that people at Central have. A place where people could put what worked for them might help to alleviate some of this, might save some staff from having to look for something when someone else has already found it.


No comments:

Post a Comment