Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thing #4: Explore the Blogosphere

I love looking at the blog participants of 23 Things. I look at them all pretty much daily--sometimes on the way home or the way to work and sometimes during the work day. I like the glimpse I get into a day or thought process of a co-worker or for those who are blogging about work, I like to get an insiders view into something I only look at from the outside.

The 23 Things blogs I find myself enjoying much and going back to over and over are: (in no particular order, and by no means all inclusive)
From Bibliosopher's blog I had to laugh at the link to Smart Bitches Trashy Books. I found that blog a bit ago, and it just makes me bust out; it reminds me a bit of Longmire Does Romance Novels - I love this site. I hadn't looked at it in a bit, but a quick Google search found it for me. It isn't necessarily a blog but check it out.

After taking a look at the Top Ten Library Blogs to Read in 2008, I discovered that I read or know most of them--I can't remember if this is one of them: Library Lovers', but I like reading the things that come into there, not all of them mind you, but usually there's some good stuff.

I surfed around a bit more and found 10 Non-Librarian Blogs to Read in 2008 here. Off that list I read:
  • Boing Boing--I had an interesting discussion with Bibliosopher and Ping about steam punk because of this site.
  • The Bookslut Blog
  • Lifehacker
  • Post Secret--I've also read all the books on this the library has
  • Slashdot
  • Snopes--this comes in handy when my family sends me emails trying to warn me about some dastardly thing. I always go to snopes to check it out and email them back with a link to the appropriate article, with of course my thanks for thinking of me.
I like what the Austin Public Library has done with their blog. I've been looking at library sites almost as long as I've been working for the library and many utilize blogs to some extent. Some library like aadl use it to run their whole websites and their director blogs on it. Other libraries use blogs for their teen groups, to announce events and more.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. Thanks other J.

    Loved your comments on the blogs. Being the geek that I am, I also appeciated looking at APL's blog policy, which seems sensible.

    I use Snopes the same way you do! Who would have thunk it? Ok, back to chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, someone is reading my blog! HAHA

    Want to register your blog with Didi, Rolf, Adam, Jody or Sandra? If you do this, then we can keep track of your postings and add you to the stats for the project.

    All you need to do is e mail one of us your name and blog address. Your identity will be kept anonymous, unless you chose to reveal it in your blog.

    Thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete